It is important to pay special attention during the winter months at your construction site to avoid safety hazards. Take time everyday before beginning any task to survey the area for any hazardous conditions in order to put the proper steps in place to eliminate or control the hazard. Keep an eye on walkways, work platforms, scaffolds, stairs and ladders for ice build up.
Slips and trips lead to a fall which continues to be the leading cause for deaths and injuries in our industry. The weather this time of year, only increases our chances for slips and trips due to slippery and icy surfaces.
HOW TO ELIMINATE THE HAZARD
We all have different responsibilities but when it comes to safety, we all have the same one, work safe and go home everyday injury free. Here are few safety tips, can you think of any?
- Execute the JSA Process. Its not the form that keeps you safe, its the process. Plan ahead, inspect your areas and equipment first thing every morning and make sure they are free of icy or wet conditions.
- Communicate with your supervisor or PLS in order to come up with corrective measures if your having trouble coming up with the best way to eliminate or control the hazard.
- Follow all safety rules in place such as, 100% tie off while working off heights or walking on gritted surfaces.
- Try not to carry too much, you need to leave your hands and arms free to better balance yourself. Carrying heavy items can challenge your sense of balance.
- Use the correct type of PPE. Slip resistant boots are extremely important when working in areas that are icy or wet
We hope everybody had a Blessed Merry Christmas. Remember, always wear your PPE, it is the last line of DEFENSE. Thank you all for working SAFE and have a BLESSED SAFE WEEK!!!!