We hope everyone had a blessed new years day celebration. Around this time of the year, most of us can still be distracted. It is extremely important that we remain 100% focus at all times on the job in order to work safely and efficiently.
As you have already noticed, the mornings are getting colder and its creating icy and wet conditions which increases the possibility of slips, trips and falls. Falls does continue to be the leading cause for deaths and injuries in our industry. We are on a mission to educate workers out in the field on the hazards that come with the changing of the weather. It is important to take this change into consideration and come up with the best plan to eliminate or control the hazard. Slips and trips can cause minor or severe injuries depending on the type of work being done. Here are a few safety tips in order to prevent slips, trips & falls.
- Execute the JSA Process. Its not the form that keeps you safe, its the process. Plan ahead, inspect your areas and equipment first thing every morning and make sure they are free of icy or wet conditions.
- Communicate with your supervisor or PLS in order to come up with corrective measures if your having trouble coming up with the way to eliminate or control the hazard.
- Follow all safety rules in place such as, 100% tie off while working off heights or walking on gritted surfaces.
- Try not to carry too much you need to leave your hands and arms free to better balance yourself. Carrying heavy items can challenge your sense of balance.
- Use the correct type of PPE. Slip resistant boots are extremely important when working in areas that are icy or wet.